I, me and my fat, Part 10
Prof. Noakes uses the term “Banting” for a low-carb, high-fat diet (LCHF). This diet is named after William Banting, in 1862, a popular London undertaker , who was terribly obese. He was the first guinea pig of the LCHF diet. He reduced his weight so drastically that his approach became known as the Banting diet. Banting consists mainly of
- animal proteins and saturated animal fats – all meats, poultry and game (EXCEPT luncheon meats, vegetarian protein/unfermented soya); all natural and cured meats and sausages (parma ham, salami, bacon, chorizo EXCEPT vienna sausages, cured meats with excessive sugar); all sea food (EXCEPT swordfish and tilefish – high in mercury); all eggs; broths.
- All fats – coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, macadamia oil, butter, ghee, lard, full fat mayonnaise (not made from seed oils!);
- NO seed oils – canola, sunflower, cottonseed, grape seed, corn, safflower)
- all dairy products (EXCEPT: cheese spreads, coffee creamers, ice-cream, any 2% or fat-free milk or yoghurt; soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, condensed milk.)
- some nuts and seeds – almonds, walnuts, pecan nuts, macadamia nuts, pine nuts, flax seeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds; limit cashews and chestnuts.
- fresh vegetables grown mostly above the ground (salad greens – 2 cups/day; all fibrous vegetables – 1 cup (uncooked)/day).
- NO fruit juice; no vegetable juices, except the home-made ones on the green list; limit butternut , carrots, sweet potatoes ;
- NO starchy vegetables – potatoes, peas, legumes, beetroots.
- LIMITED fruits; berries are lower in sugar.
- NO grains – wheat, barley, rye, oats, rice, corn /corn products, couscous, millet, pasta, noodles, all forms of bread, crackers, breakfast cereals/ muesli/ granola, breaded foods, all flours from grains, no gravy powder/ stock cubes/maize starch.
- NO SUGARS – agave, fructose, honey, syrups, cordials, energy drinks, sweets, dried fruit, malt.
- Sweeteners – stevia powder, xylitol granules, erythritol granules (EXCEPT artificial sweeteners – aspartame, saccharin, etc.);
- NO fast foods, processed foods.
- NO food with added sugar (glucose, dextrose).
- NO soya products.
- NO hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated oils/ trans fats (margarine, vegetable oils/fats)
- NO beer, cider, fizzy drinks ( lite/zero/diet )
- Purified water is the best!