Marmite – A superfood
Marmite is to the British and New Zealanders, what breast milk is to babies – an essential part of their diet and lifestyle!. Without it, is a “marmageddon”!. Marmite has been discovered by a German scientist, in 1902 and has been included in First World War soldier’s ration packs, due to it’s high nutritional value. In the 1930’s, an English scientist discovered that the folic acid in Marmite could be used to treat anemia. Till today, Marmite is as popular as ever!.
Marmite’s ingredients are: yeast extract, vegetable extract, salt, spices and vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B9, B12). It is popular to eat as a spread on toast, crackers or rice cakes , with cheese or butter. Take one teaspoon/day, to enjoy an array of health benefits.
Some amazing BENEFITS of Marmite are:
- It is perfect for a vegetarian – it is made from vegetable extract. A serving of 4g/day of Marmite, provides 40% of the RDA of vitamin B12 for a vegetarian, which is essential for maintaining a healthy nervous system and blood.
- Gluten – free
- Low in calories.
- It treats anaemia and helps pregnant woman, due to it’s high folic acid content. It also contains iodine, which speed up the absorption of iron.
- Packed with B vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12) – which is essential for good liver and kidney function, eye and skin health and to protect the nervous system. It is a cheap way to daily replace your Vitamin B supplements – a jar of 250g, with a single serving of 4g/day, will cost you just over 2 pounds!. What a bargain!.
- It is a popular hangover cure – Alcohol depletes your body’s stores of B vitamins, so 1t of Marmite, on a piece of toast, quickly replenishes your vitamin B supplies…. in Sri Lanka, it is mixed with hot water, lime juice and a fried onion slice!!. Try it!!
- It prevents cardiovascular disease, due to the high Vitamin B1 content, especially among diabetics.
- It can help with morning sickness.
- It beats super bugs – niacin/ vitamin B3 in Marmite help the body fight anti-biotic resistant bacteria (MRSA).
- The yeast in Marmite, helps keep mosquitos away.
- It helps you to sleep better – the magnesium in Marmite, relax the muscles and calm the body’s nerves. It helps prevent dementia – the high concentrations of Vitamin B in the yeast extract, prevents neurological disorders. It helps to calm the brain and soothe the effects of anxiety.
- It is a local product of the UK, it is made of brewer’s yeast, a dried malt barley.
- It can be consumed in different ways – as a spread, drunk, mixed in stews and soups, seasoning for food, etc.
- It is economical and cheap – it has a concentrated flavour and is consumed in very small amounts.
…AND IT IS ECO – FRIENDLY!!!
ENJOY YOUR MARMITE!!